Whitetail Deer Mineral Sites
Whitetail Deer Mineral Sites
Creating mineral sites for your deer can bring huge benefits to your deer herds health. Not only does it promote antler growth, but it keeps does and fawns healthy. They are especially beneficial in spring when does are birthing and need all the nutrition they can get.
Establishing these sites in locations where deer feel comfortable and frequent the most in Spring & Summer will provide the best results.
How to get the most from your mineral site:
1) You have two main options for how to apply your minerals. The most popular is finding a rotting log or stump and pouring as much mineral as needed to cover it. Another option is to clear leaves and debris in a 4-6 foot circle to expose the ground and pouring your minerals over the soil evenly. The deer will eat the log, stump or soil to get the minerals.
2) These minerals can be dehydrating so setting up your mineral site near their favourite water source is always a good move.
3) It is best to re-apply a liberal amount of mineral every 4-6 weeks if the deer are using the mineral sites heavily. This is especially true if you have a lot of rain fall, re-applying will make sure that when the deer come back for more, there will be something there for them.
4) Using trail cameras will be crucial to getting accurate information about how much traffic your mineral site is getting, as well as getting an inventory of bucks that are in the area.
5) Last but not least, to make the most of your efforts you can transition your mineral sites into Fall baiting sites as your deer already know there is something good to eat in the area.
Mineral sites are perfect for holding deer on the land you hunt, all year long!
Turkey Hunting Tips
Turkey season is coming and I’m sure we’re all getting excited for opening day sunrise with turkeys gobbling on the roost, waiting for that big tom to pitch down and run into our decoys. With almost a decade of chasing turkeys under my belt, I’ve been outsmarted by them enough to learn a few things. […]
Cover All Depths: Breaking down water columns to locate Bass
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, patience is not the key to success during any outing on the water. Sitting and waiting for Bass to “turn on” will be a waste of your time and abilities. So, what do you do when you show up at the lake? Does it have to […]
Here in southern Ontario hunting coyote is becoming more and more popular. There is a long list of reason why hunters chase these brush dogs, from being a nuisance to suburban areas, selling or using pelts,hurting farmers livestock, or managing deer and turkey populations on your hunting grounds, etc. Here’s a few quick tips to […]
New Ontario Turkey Hunting Regulations 2017
Major changes for turkey hunting. The 2017 Ontario turkey season is going to look quite different this year. Major changes have been approved and will be shown in the 2017 Ontario Hunting Regulations. Here is a summary of the changes that have been confirmed. The biggest change is that you no longer need take the […]